Beginning in the late Summer of 2010, I worked with several young peers from VidaSIDA, a program of the Puerto Rican Cultural Center to brainstorm and produce a series of print, web and video pieces that would be branded “With Me Comes a Cure (WMCC)”. The peers led 2 focus groups, which gave them visual ideas for the campaign, which they produced thumbnails and mock-ups of. The peers (3) all of whom were wonderfully creative, had different levels of graphic design skills and so I acted as the art director, combining the Photoshop files, creating an InDesign file to specs, and finally coordinating the print production.
1. Condom Cards
The Condom Cards produced were a trio and were conceived as a way to have Humboldt Park youth, the demographic the educational campaign was targetting, engage and own the campaign. By consistently incorporating neighborhood images and youth using the AIDS ribbon as a mask, youth recognized and identified themselves throughout the print campaign and become ambassadors for the campaign. The different pieces produced included:
• Condom Cards – for stuffing into condom packs which included an educational piece on STIs and VidaSIDA.
• Storefront posters- several hundred posters were printed for posting inside community merchants storefronts.
• Billboards-2 small billboards were produced and placed on community spots
• t-shirts-were produced for the peer educators
• Bus Signs-were produced that were placed on 5 neighborhood routes for 1 month
• PSA-2 public service audio announcements were created and produced by the peers for running on neighborhood and online stations
• A “How-to” book is being produced, summarizing the strengths and difficulties of the campaign for similar programs across the US. It will also be available as a downloadable PDF.
• Halloween postcards-these stand out because the peers used themselves as models and came up with the tag line and concept. From concept to printed piece took 1 week. I shot and designed the bilingual postcard.
I’ve designed a slideshow highlighting some of the pieces.